Monday, April 09, 2007

Easter Sunday Part deux

We had a fabulous day today and even though I was unable to participate in the adult service... I was able to rejoice in Christ's resurrection with the children. I debated on what to do with them but since I wasn't expecting any help.. I chose to watch the Veggie Tales Easter Carol. We ended up having someone come and lead us in some worship which was great and so I adjusted the video to basically tell the true meaning of Easter which made the video just awesome. There were even some adults with us in this service who (in my opinion) just don't understand the need for Jesus (nothing against God/church/etc) and I loved how the video explained the "HOPE" of Easter. That it didn't just simply say... 'Jesus died on the cross for our sins... we must repent' because I don't always think people understand what that means or it can sometimes be said in a tone that comes across unlike how we intend it to. But anyway... it described Easter as giving us Hope that this world isn't it, that there's something afterward worth living for and that we can attain that 'eternal life' with a personal relationship with Jesus. I prayed during our service that even the little ones would understand the hope that Jesus' death and resurrection and that two people very special to me would be touched by the services today so much so that it's all they can think about until they not only make a decision to follow Christ but they desire to understand what that means.

We had our fun egg hunt after the service and though there were a few mishaps (of which I learned from and already made notes on... lol) it turned out great. The youth group was a tremendous help and all children walked away with a bag of goodies.

We had plans to have an Easter dinner with one family and then celebrate a birthday with another but Isabella refused to nap and unfortunately, the birthday party had to be ruled out. I felt awful because I know Isabella would have really enjoyed herself but then again she probably wouldn't have being as tired as she ways. We ended up having a wonderful dinner with the Taylor's and several other families from church (of which I didn't really know any of them so it was a great way to meet some new people). We were given a ride home and almost instantly, Isabella fell asleep in the car.

The most disappointing event of the day was my poor hubby falling. :( His ankle is pretty swollen and most likely a major sprain (though i guess we'll find out tomorrow if it's broken). My heart just breaks for him because I can only imagine how discouraging this must be, especially since we leave on Tues for Thailand. I just pray that in the morning it's much, much better... join me in praying that too please.

Tomorrow will find me cleaning our flat (I hate coming home to a messy place) and oh yeah.... hunting for that Easter basket. As long as Mike's a pastor (and living away from family), I'm sure we'll be busy on Easter Sunday... so I think I've decided that I'd like to hunt for the basket either on Saturday or the following Monday. for two reasons... 1. I want Mike to be there and Izzy to enjoy it so morning is out and if it's a late day... evenings will most likely be out too. 2. I really want Isabella to understand that while eggs and baskets and candy are nice... Easter is not about that and allowing us to have Easter Sunday free of those things I hope will help us as a family to focus on what Christ did for us. Maybe things won't always go as I plan and maybe doing this doesn't change a thing but it's what we're doing this year and I like it. hehe She's got quite the basketfull thanks to some wonderful grandparents and I'm so thankful to God for allowing me to find a beautiful basket. When you're living overseas/among a different culture... I think it's easier to be grateful for the littlest things or at least things that are easy to take for granted because they're so readily available. Who new a basket (or a lunch box... story to come later) could bring a tear to your eye.

So with that....

Mark's account of the resurrection

The next evening, when the Sabbath ended, Mary Magdalene, Salome and Mary the mother of James went out and purchased burial spices to put on Jesus' body. Very early on Sunday morning, just at sunrise, they came to the tomb. On the way they were discussing who would roll the stone away from the entrance to the tomb. But when they arrived, they looked up and saw that the stone - a very large one - had already been rolled aside. So they entered the tomb, and there on the right sat a young man clothed in a white robe. The women were startled, but the angel said, "Do not be so surprised. You are looking for Jesus, the Nazarene, who was crucified. He isn't here! He has been raised from the dead! Look, this is where they laid His body. Now go and give this message to His disciples, including Peter: Jesus is going ahead of you to Galilee. You will see Him there, just as He told you before He died!" The women fled from the tomb, trembling and bewildered, saying nothing to anyone because they were too frightened to talk.

It was early on Sunday morning when Jesus rose from the dead, and the first person who saw Him was Mary Magdalene, the woman from whom He had cast out seven demons. She went and found the disciples, who were grieving and weeping. But when she told them that Jesus was alive and she had seen Him, they didn't believe her.

Afterward He appeared to two who were walking from Jerusalem into the country, but they didn't recognize Him at first because He had changed His appearance. When they realized who He was, they rushed back to tell the others, but no one believed them.
Still later He appeared to the eleven disciples as they were eating together. He rebuked them for their unbelief - their stubborn refusal to believe those who had seen Him after He had risen.

And then He told them,

"Go into all the world and preach the Good News to everyone, everywhere. Anyone who believes and is baptized will be saved. But anyone who refuses to believe will be condemned. These signs will accompany those who believe: They will cast out demons in My name, and they will speak new languages. They will be able to handle snakes with safety, and if they drink anything poisonous, it won't hurt them. They will be able to place their hands on the sick and heal them."

When the Lord Jesus had finished talking with them, He was taken up into heaven and sat down in the place of honor at God's right hand. And the disciples went everywhere and preached, and the Lord worked with them, confirming what they said by many miraculous signs.

God loves you so much that He send His son Jesus Christ to die for your sins. After His resurrection and ascension into heaven, He sent His Spirit to live in our lives and empower us to live the abundant life. But we must personally ask Him into our lives to be our Lord and Savior.

No comments: