Monday, November 20, 2006

Something else...

Like I've said in previous posts... there has been a lot of things that have happened so posts for the next few days may be totally random. That being said...

I joined a challenge about 4 weeks ago. It's called 'The Biggest Loser--Digi Style.' It's very similar to the tv show in that our goal is to lose the most weight possible with challenges along the way. My first motive to join this challenge was to lose about 10 lbs. I reached my original goal last Feb but then really slacked in my eating habits and put a few of those pounds back on which is another reason why I joined. I wanted to learn how to eat healthier for the rest of my life... not just for a season.

And I must say this challenge has been amazing for me! I have developed so much self control in my eating habits, an even deeper love and appreciation for exercise, and a desire to push myself into trying something new and working harder. The ladies that are a part of this group are amazing... so friendly, so informative, so encouraging and they give me a push when I need it. It's so great!

I'm proud to report that on our 3rd weigh-in I was down 3lbs which is a healthy way to lose (1 to 2lbs a week) but more importantly (for me anyway... I have to keep working to lose weight for my team but I'm more interested in this) I've lost 2.5 inches! I feel so great, so energized. Yes mornings are still not my friend but it's SO much easier to get up these days, my skin looks healthier, I don't feel guilty about what I eat or eating to much, I rarely feel 'gross' (yes I still have my bad days... lol) and I feel so strong and more confident. It's amazing what taking care of your body will do for you! I haven't gone on any 'diet,' I've just learned portion control and what's high/low in calories.

I'm thrilled at the success I've had so far and so proud of my team (we were the lead 'Losers' and exercise challenge winners this week) and excited that I know I can raise Isabella to lead a healthy lifestyle.

On top of this challenge... one of the ladies decided she was going to start the Couch to 5K running program with a goal to run a 5K sometime next year and invited anyone to join her. I've ALWAYS wanted to run a marathon and it was my goal this year to prepare for the HK Marathon in March but as I began my training my knees couldn't handle it and I gave up. But I am determined (because I don't think there's anything really wrong with my knees, just runners knee, which can be dealt with on my own) to run a marathon before I die so I decided to take her up on her challenge. I know that I can run 5K but I want to be able to run again that same week so I'm hoping that maybe this slower approach will allow me to strengthen my knees and get me running on a regular basis. This is an 8 week program but I'm praying that at the 4 week mark, I can step it up and prepare for a 10K that is a part of the Hong Kong Marathon. (side note... Mike is going to train for the 1/2 marathon so it'd be awesome to at least be running at the same time for part of it) I'm happy to report that I was successful in completing the training for day one with no issues (praying that I don't feel it tomorrow... lol) and am axious for my next day.

I've just been really amazed at how watching what I eat and exercising regularly has really increased my energy level, changed my attitude, given me confidence, etc... you always read about how this (proper diet and exercise) can make you feel better but it's hard to belive it when it requires such effort. But anyway...

GO RED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go Melissa! It really is about the long term and setting the best examples for our daughters isn't it? I just ran a 10k and am looking for a 1/2 Marathon in the spring. HK might be a stretch but it sure would be fun to see you guys!