Friday, December 30, 2005

New Year... improved me

This past year was full of changes for me and although I've enjoyed these changes, I'm ready for some stability. And with that stability, I'm excited to see what God has planned for this next year. I want to live life with a purpose and for that reason, I've decided to set some personal goals for myself. I've learned over this past year that if I set my mind to something and get passionate about it, I can accomplish anything and there are a few things that I've always wanted to do. What better a place to write these goals than a blog where people can keep me accountable if they choose.

I'm still thinking about these so you may see more goals in future posts but for now these are my desires.

1. Train for a half-marathon (with the possibility of running the Trailwalker with Mike next Nov)
Why? Just a few weeks before we found out we would be moving to MN, I signed up to run a marathon for the Lymphoma society and was really bummed to have to back out. I've always wanted to run one but it's been a few years since I've run on concrete (I'm usually on an ellipitical machine) and I'm not sure how my left knee will handle it but I figure I can push myself to run at least 13.1 miles.

2. Write a story for a children's book.
Why? I've written stories since I was a kid but none that had a real focus. I doubt I'll ever get published... I wouldn't even know where to begin but I want to have one solid story that I can share with Isabella as she gets older. I did finish one rhyming book this past month which showed me that I can do it and motivated me to try another. If any of you are great artists who would draw pictures for me that'd be great!

3. Organize an English speaking playgroup.
Why? My ministry is limited in HK with Isabella because there is no nursery so I need to find something that can include her. There's nothing better than a playgroup where I can build relaitonships as well as Isabella. My prayer is that eventually this would turn into a book study and then Bible study where I can share how God has worked in my life. The exciting thing is that I've already contacted three ladies who are interested.

4. Develop skills in photography and editing.
Why? I've always loved taking pictures and even have a few that I'm quite proud of but I've never taken any classes and my skills are very amateur. I've discovered photoshop this summer when we bought our MAC and have fallen in love with editing pictures and digital scrapbooking (it's much easier to do with the limited time and space that I have available). So my goal here is to do 2 digital layouts a month, read my new camera manual and take lots and lots of pictures!

In all that I do, I want to glorify God and so I want to train to be healthy and take care of my body (the Temple of God), create using the talents He has given me, and share the Good News as He has called me to.

2 comments:

pattyanne said...

Wow! You are very inspiring! Our God is An Awesome God! And I can't wait to hear (read) about your missionary work in HK! I found your blog from your friend Andrea! I, too am new to digital scrapbooking and love it! AnD I also use a MAC! Plus, I'm currently teaching Sunday School to the 12-14 year old girls in my church - and love it! God bless you and your resolutions for this upcoming year! Keep inspired by giving God all the praise!

Mrs. Burns said...

Hi Melissa~ your goals sound awesome~ and I am sure that you will exceed at all of them! Much Love~